The Purpose of this Blog

I started this blog to make my gym/cardio experiences more interesting and motivating. Each day that I visit the gym, I select an interesting person for "observation." I ultimately write an entry describing the dress and actions of the interesting person. I observe while using the treadmill (20-25 minutes), decide on the name and back story while on the elliptical. The writing happens while using the recumbent bike.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Marcus

Marcus strode into the gym at 10:35pm. He had hoped to avoid the crowds by selecting a later time on a Sunday but it appeared that everyone else has the same thought. 

At a height of 6'2" and dressed in a plain light green t-shirt, grey shorts, his new black Nikes and a black UT hat - he certainly did not dress to stand out. With his phone to his ear, he walked straight towards the locker room. He stared straight ahead as he quickly strode, not acknowledging anyone, listening intently to the person speaking to him on the phone.

"I can't do this without you. I need you. I need to hear your voice - you know that it calms me." Marcus said quietly in the locker room.

Marcus realized that he had remained in the locker room far longer than he probably should have. Anyone who had noted the time he went into the locker room probably thought he was taking a shower or even that something was wrong with him. They didn't send people in to check on you at this gym did they? He didn't want anyone to see his pain as he listened. Insteadof leaving though, he continued to speak to this woman on the phone.

"I just don't see why we can't work this out. Why does this have to be hard? Why are you leaving me alone? Don't leave me. I need you, do you want me to beg?"

After what seemed like a lifetime, Marcus left the locker room. He weaved his way to the leg press machine as he listened to the woman's seemingly reasonable voice on the phone. She was telling him that she shouldn't be talking to him. That he didn't need her. That he was better off without her. That he would be better off alone.

Without hanging up, he adjusted the weights and started pressing. She continued to speak and he began to relax a little. She had not hung up yet, there was hope she would remain with him, especially considering the present circumstances. He could not be abandoned now.

After one quick set, he moved to the tricep press. This was going to be tricky as he should use both hands to get the full benefit of the workout but he was not ready to hang up with this woman who calmed him so easily but wanted to leave him. 

She continued to try and end the call. He continued to plead in the most unmanly of ways.

He made it through two sets before she hung up. Leaving him. He did one more set then he could not stay here any longer. He was alone.

Marcus quickly gathered his thjngs and walked straight to the door - an anxious look on his face.

Once he made it to the car, he picked up the phone and dailed the number he knew by heart. She answered immediately.

"Dr. Andrews, not only did I make it into the gym. I actually did one more set after you hung up! I think I can really beat my fear! Thanks Dr. Andrews - you are a muscle worker! Same time tomorrow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment